I’ve been taking some sessions on crowd funding. I have a project that I’ve wanted to do for a while. It involves gargoyles, sort of. I’ve been working on a few sketches. This is the latest one. It’s a modified turkey vulture skull that I drew.
It will go along with these two sketches I posted previously.
The other sketch I’m still working on. I’ll add it here once it’s done. I hope everyone’s day has been fantastic!
I’ve been building a set of studies for a new illustration project. I felt it was be good to share my results here with you. It all started with the self portrait/fantasy portrait sketches I posted recently. I’ll post them again here:
The end goal is the upcoming project that they will be appearing in.
Its all part of the study I’ve been working on to better refine my illustrating techniques.
Here is an example of a marble study that I’m researching:
(Marble sample is from Pinterest and saved there by forevermarble.com)
I’ll add more examples as I’m developing each part of the project. Now it’s time to get back to work creating!
Dragon Con was as huge and great as ever this year! My daughter and I have been attending for about six years now. We were able to go late on Friday and caught a panel after getting our badges. Then to a photo shoot.
On Saturday we missed the entire parade, this time. Well except for the last ambulance. This was due to getting a late start and arriving after the streets were blocked off for the parade. Usually we get there an hour to an hour and a half before so that we can get into our favorite parking lot and get breakfast.
We did keep things simpler this time. We did the one panel, a couple of photo shoots, visiting and supporting artists at the Art Show, Artist Alley and the Vendor Halls. On Sunday we had breakfast at Metro Cafe Diner our go to place every year.
Over all things seemed easier to find and access for the most part. The only major setback was the traffic into and throughout the vendor halls. This was due to the expansion of vendors into the same footprint as last year and the increase of attendees over last year. The volunteers did a good job reacting to the traffic outside the vendor halls coming into the building.
I’ve just completed a tattoo design for a cover up. The client has approved it and I’m sharing it here with you. I present “Samurai”.
To continue my study in bringing more realism into my work, I’ve created a fantasy self portrait. Since there is a deviation in the color and shading from the Manga Studio image and the finished image, the actual shading appears darker and the contrasting colors of blue in the shading and orange in the highlights (especially in image 6) does not show up.
- Photo reference of myself.
- Tracing from the photo reference.
- 1st creature design. This creature came out looking too sympathetic so start over.
- Basic line drawing for new creature.
- Rough shading and design changes.
- Final creature design.
So I’ve found that the image is not saving the same as it was created due to screen height, angle and filtering. I am reintroducing the geographical map of Ba’anta. this is much closer to the original tonal values. Constructive critiques and comments are stil very welcome!